Friday, January 19, 2007

Phil and Nikki

Phil and Nikki came over the house last night and we chit chatted about what's been going on. The met with a lawyer yesterday. The insurance company of the woman that caused the crash says they "can't pay anymore." This is going to turn into a battle. They aren't looking to get rich, but as of right now, they don't know if she'll be able to go back to work, what the effects down the road will be (seizures, PT, vision,etc). But, Nikki is doing very well. She would like to say "Hello and thanks" to Devery. She has become the master of pureed food. They even did chips and salsa pureed the other night. While Nikki has undergone major changes, it's interesting to watch how Phil has changed.

Phil was, and probably still is, a macho man. He's not the emotional kind. When he does get emotional, it is hardly in front of people. He is the assistant chief of a fire department and very much a manly man. At times it seems as if his heart was made of lead, but now it's softened. Everyone would expect it to soften towards Nikki, but it has towards everyone. He never was mean with others, but he wasn't a touchy feely person. While he still isn't, he is a lot "softer." Watching him interact with Nikki, the girls, us, and even our dog since the accident has been amusing. Not like, funny amusement, but I watch him in amazement. I don't know if I could have remained as strong as he has over the past month. Maybe he's always been this way and I just never noticed. But I wonder if that is true, I've been around for 6 years now, and this is the first time I've seen him like this. I like it, and I hope he is here to stay.

No comments: