Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Odd

Ok, so I have managed to update grades and I had a couple minutes of down time to check blogs and surf the net. I discovered that my sister has a myspace page for her dog. Keep in mind that my nun to be sister holds a bachelors and master's degree and just turned 31. All fine and dandy I guess, but what gets me are all of the other dogs (their owners) who leave messages. Why pretend to be your dog and leave a message for another dog? I'm not trying to "slam" my sister, I just don't see the point behind it. Yes, I have a dog. Yes, he is adorable. Yes, I love him very much. Yes, I've posted pictures of him in my blog. No, I have not even created a myspace page of my own (nor will I) yet alone one for my dog. Call me a party pooper, but don't people have better things to do with their time?

We all complain about being so busy, yet we find time to blog (I'm just a guilty), chat(occasionally guilty), play internet games (guilty again), and update our myspace and facebook pages. Have our lives become so over loaded with long "to do" lists that we procrastinate by doing other activities? How much simpiler would our lives be without the internet. I know, all of you tech people are screaming, but think about it. I would like to go back to a time when we didn't have computers or the internet. Granted it would be hard, because I've never known a time like that, but I would like to try it. Would our friendships and relationships be stronger because we'd be forced to talk face to face instead of screen to screen? Would we be more physically active because we'd actually have to get off our butts and go to the store to get something instead of hitting "add to shopping cart"? Would we finally find time to spend those extra minutes listening to God instead of our ipods? Keep in mind that I'm not slamming technology, I use it on a daily basis (mostly for work) and I like it, I'm just wondering. Any thoughts?

2 comments:

todd helmkamp said...

I would be very sad without email. Then I would have to call people. I hate the phone.

Carma said...

My sister makes a good comment. All things in moderation.