Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Body

The human body is a miraculous thing. I have spent some time lately thinking about it and all that it entails. I can't imagine God's thought process when he was creating us. Everything works together and it amazes me. We are able to create and support life. Our bodies change to accommodate that life. Our bodies even allow us to feel that life within us. I don't mean to focus on pregnancy, but it is on my mind. Today at 3 we go for another check up and hopefully Taylor will cooperate and I'll soon know which pronoun to use. But more than pregnancy, the body is astounding in so many ways.

For those of you who don't know, last December my sister-in-law was T-boned by a semi going close to 50mph. She had a 10 percent chance of living and a 1% chance of not being paralyzed. After a month in the hospital and several months of rehab. She is back to her old self. Well, not exactly her old self. Her speech is still a little off, but it get's better every week. She is skinnier than ever!! Her eye sight is better than before the accident. I have spent some time talking to her lately about the whole thing. She was in a coma for around 8 days. I knew she didn't/won't remember that. During the last two weeks in the hospital she became very coherent, although defiant (she ripped out her feeding tube and broke her neck brace out of anger). We thought she would remember those times. She doesn't. She is constantly amazed to hear how she threatened her roommate during week two. Her roommate had just had a stroke and would make moaning noises. Nikki, very calmly, moved the curtain and asked "Can I help you?" When the woman moaned Nikki replied, "Well then shut up will ya?!" She doesn't remember Christmas at the hospital either. She barely remembers having her husbands birthday in the hospital or watching the movie "Cars" three times a day. It just astounds me what the mind can and will not remember. It protects us. It controls so much of our movements. It's astounding.

I don't know how people can think about topics like this and not believe in a higher power. Even as I sit and look out my office window, I am amazed. Someone cared enough for me to create all of this. Not only create it, but sent His son to die for me so that I could enjoy it. How can people not believe?

No comments: