Thursday, October 04, 2007

Trouble with prayer?

I have always had trouble with prayer. I felt like I was reading off my "wants" list. Now that I think about it, I've struggled my whole life. No one ever taught me how to pray. I don't think there is one way to pray. I find myself praying in unconventional ways. I use music, big surprise. It helps me feel more connected.

Last month I was flipping through an old Today's Christian Woman and I saw an ad for Praying in Color. I ended up buying two copies. I had one shipped to me, and one to my sister. My sister is very creative and we are both right brained people.

I got my book last night, I love it. I sat and read the whole thing, then went and got my supplies to start "praying in color."

The book focuses on using quiet time drawing as prayer. You can focus on one person, idea, location, etc. It works very well! I have been struggling with how to pray for a friend of mine who is going through a rough time. I shut myself in the nursery with my sketch paper and new markers and went at it. It worked wonders. I found myself praying for someone (a person causing my friend pain) that I never thought I would pray for. I realized that as much as my friend needs prayer, the other person needs more. There is even a section in the book that gives you ideas on how to pray for your enemies. It is very interesting.

On my drive to wal-mart I found myself thinking of tons of ways to "pray" and things to pray for. I should write them all down, but I decided against it. I want God to lead me in prayer for the 1/2 an hour I have devoted each day.

I highly encourage anyone to try this, strong or weak prayer life. I am totally amazed by it and I've only done one session. It works for me because I am very visual. Every time I think of my friend I can picture what I drew and the words I wrote and I can spend a moment praying and thinking about what each person needs.

I just can't say enough about this book!

No comments: