Thursday, October 04, 2007

Why do some grow up, and others get worse?

I got a disturbing email from a friend of mine this morning. Her boyfriend's (we'll call him J) new boss is a former classmate of ours. This former classmate, we'll call him D, always made comments about my friends body. Personally, she has a great body, but like all women, she is self conscious about certain parts. In high school, D, would always point things out and make sexual comments. It's amazing that he hasn't gotten slapped with a sexual harassment suite (yet). Well, when my friends boyfriend got his promotion, and found out who his boss was, my friend immediately told him, "Don't tell them you are with me." So her boyfriend kept is quiet. Well, D overheard my friends boyfriend and heard him mention her name. D, being the lovely neanderthal that he is, made a sexual comment. The boyfriend politely asked to leave personal life comments out of work. Well, D, being an idiot, wouldn't drop it. After some more sexual comments, the boyfriend slugged him in the face.

I know that violence is wrong. But I do respect the fact that J stood up for my friend. He didn't throw the punch right away. He asked D to stop. The old J would have beat the crap out of him without thinking.

This made me think. How come some people change so much after high school and other's don't? I have recently reconnected with an old classmate via facebook. This person in high school was your typical jock, but he knew his limits and he was very smart. He is not married to his high school sweetheart, etc. I messaged him the other day and I got back the sweetest reply. I told him flat out, "Wow, that was not the reply I expected from you, you have really changed." He said, "I married a good woman. She keeps me on track even when I want to stray."

So why has this person grown and changed and matured so much with D still remains in 9th grade?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the key is who you hang out with.

your jock friend acknowledged this when he said his wife keeps him in line.

D probably hangs out with single people who get drunk every weekend.

I think the people you hang out with have a TON to do with how you act. You act like you who hang out with, imho.

Anonymous said...

So did J get fired? (Not that I think he should, just that places that put people like D into supervisory positions can often be messed up at every level...) How does the story end??

Pepper said...

I have to say...thanks for caring enough about this to post! Lets all hope that something happens to D, but don't hold your breath. Meanwhile...J has started his quest for a new job.