Monday, October 08, 2007

Shopping at Dad's

Ayron and I went up to visit my dad yesterday. My dad is slowly getting ready to move to Beaufort, South Carolina. We went to look through some of the old family stuff and take what we wanted. Like dad said, "You're either gonna get it now or when I die. At least if you take it now I don't have to move it across the country." I really only wanted two things. (Natalee, if you want something, please let me know! Dad didn't know if you could have anything, etc).

I managed to find my grandmothers two shadow boxes and the items she kept in them. They are going to go in my office at home. We also brought home some crystal and china. My grandmother collected the stuff like it was going out of style. We now have her monogrammed crystal, which includes shrimp cups. Those are cool! We brought home the milk glass china. I don't any place to put this stuff yet, but I want it to stay in the family. Eventually we might bring home the big bell and put it on a post in our yard. My dad loves that bell and that is one thing I want to make sure stays in the family. Another cool find we brought home is a wooden tea set that is hand painted. My grandfather brought it back for his mother when he was in the war. It is gorgeous and so light. It's amazing to look at it and think that it is wood.

I do want to get the things appraised. I WILL NOT SELL THEM! I am just curious what they are worth so that I know how much to insure them for. I told my dad to go on Antique Road Show and he said with his luck he'd haul it all there and they'd tell him it crap. I don't believe it is crap, but I am curious how much it is worth. I don't know much about appraisals. Can you have them done fairly cheap or free? Where is a good place to go in DeKalb? Just looking for suggestions.

Also, my dad is looking for someone who would be interested in buying some old records. His grandparents used to own a music/pinball store in downtown Garrett back in the day. It used to be THE place to go (or so I have been told by some teachers I worked with at Garrett). He has a ton of old records as well as some old punch boards in their original wrapper. If anyone has any ideas, again, let me know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm "allowed" to have whatever I might want. I just can't think of anything that I would make use of. At one time I inquired about the sterling silver utensil set that I thought were supposed to be mine. But he said he's keeping that, and I'll get it when he dies. *shrug*