Thursday, October 11, 2007

Hillside Hot Cocoa

So I decided to stop at Wal-Mart on my way to work to get an apple, doughnut, and chocolate milk. As I was walking back to the milk case I saw a display that caught my eye. I was curious so I spent the $2 to buy one.

This container is self-heating. They are intended for camping. I bought it because it was so flipping cold out. I intended to drink it during my meeting this morning, but our new heating/cooling system in my other office is having issues and decided to keep the office at a balmy 82 degrees. It was roasting. Anyways, back to this new product. Here are the instructions off the "can."

1.) Turn container upside down. Pull off metal tamper-proof bottom.

2.) Place on a flat surface. With thumb, firmly push button downwards until green water drains (I read this and freaking, green freaking water in my hot cocoa? I'll explain later). After 10 seconds, turn container right side up.

3.) This spot changes color from pink to white (5-8 minutes) when beverage is hot. After spot is white, twist lid to align opening. Shake, open enjoy!

The green water had me freaked out, until I read the other side of the can, then my simple and tired mind got it. This is how the website explains it.

"Revolutionary hot stuff! Individual container actually HEATS itself. Pressing the bottom breaks a foil seal and allows water to enter the internal heating chamber containing quicklime. The mixture generates heat but does not touch the beverage. Great for outdoor sports, hunting, camping, etc. Each Drink is 2 3/4 x 6"h., weighs 19 ozs. Contains 10 fl. ozs. "

I am currently full from lunch but I can't wait to try this stuff and see if it gets hot and how hot it does get.
************************

1:16 - I just did steps 1 and 2. I am currently focused on the pink dot, wondering when it will turn white.

1:17 - I just touched the container and everything is still cold. Hmmm.

1:19 - Another touch test. Getting warm. Pink dot is not fading, not a bit.

1:21 - the dot is white, now on to step 3.

1:22 - shaking is done, proceeding to opening.

1:23 - WOW! It really worked! I don't think I'd spend $2 a day for one, but it was a fun experiment. They have other flavors too. Mine is hot cocoa with marshmallows!!

4 comments:

Pepper said...

Oh how I miss the days when I could sit at work and blog about such things as hot chocolate!

Anonymous said...

Huh. That does sound pretty clever!

Anonymous said...

I did the same thing! Went to WalMart with dad because he needed pants and bam! A whole bunch of these things. It was only 2 so I tried it out.

Drinking mine right now.

Same as yours: hot cocoa with marshmallows! It's actually a lot better than I thought it would be, and cheaper than Starbucks haha!

Anonymous said...

I have been drinking them as well and I have to say! THEY KICK BUTT! They taste great and heat up just hot enough to enjoy! If I could find them on closeout I would by cases of them!