Monday, March 12, 2007

Another Deadly Weekend

It seems like there has been an abundance of accidents lately, especially deadly ones. The recent bus crash which involved students from a local college, my sister-in-law's accident (that's another post), and now the crash of three former students. This weekend, in Garrett, three high school girls were involved in a single car crash. The passenger was killed, the driver has head trauma, and the back seat passenger has some leg injuries. While I didn't have these students in class, the names are really familiar to me. Ayron had a couple of them when he taught in the middle school. I knew every student's face at Garrett. I loved student teaching and getting to know the kids. While I didn't know any of the girls in the accident personally, the wreck still hit me, deep. It seems like the rate of accidents have increased while the age of the driver has decreased. I lost a classmate the summer before my senior year in a single car accident. When will law makers pass a bill that will raise the driving age? I know that kids would hate that, but wouldn't they hate losing their life, or their friends life more? Can't we make it mandatory to take some kind of actual driving course? I don't know if I can stand to hear another news report about a dead young driver.

No comments: