Thursday, March 08, 2007

Blast From The Past

It seems as though the last month has been a blast from the past for me. I've reconnected with many people. L and I started talking and hanging out again after a year of not speaking to one another. K came over last night with her puppy and we sat and talked for 2 1/2 hours without skipping a beat. K and I haven't really talked since the middle of our senior year. I managed to track down my cousin, M, and we've started emailing this week, and have even thrown around the idea of her coming up here this summer to visit. My drive to Hamilton this morning was the icing on the cake. My grandmother lived in Hamilton and I spent a lot of time up there with her, especially in the summer. Last week I drove past her old house, literally, I missed it. The owners have resided it and done some cosmetic changes and I didn't recognize it. I whimpered a little sigh, and drove back to work. Today I had to drive back to Hamilton and when I drove past Harger's Meat Market. The memories of going there with Grandma to pick out the perfect slices of ham, bone in of course, for dinner. Then going home and her frying the ham, and then using the drippings to make gravy. Then, finally, being able to sit down and eat her ham, rice, and gravy dinner. You always had to add a ton of salt, but that is what makes the memory so special to me. I can still hear grandma say, "Dang, this is really bland, I thought I added enough salt" as she reached for the remote to turn on "Rescue 911." I almost stopped and got a ham steak for dinner, but I didn't. I didn't want to ruin my memory with grandma, by trying to make her gravy. Mine never turns out the way she did. Maybe I'll make bologna and cheese roll ups and pretend I'm sitting on the pier with my Snoopy fishing pole.

No comments: