Monday, March 12, 2007

Fuel to the Fire

We (by we I mean my family) is still dealing with the repercussions of the accident that seriously injured my sister-in-law. I'm sure we'll be dealing with it for some time. They have contacted an attorney and are taking all of the proper steps, but it seems like there is no end in sight. We spent Saturday evening with them and my oldest niece. Nikki showed me her file box of paperwork from the accident. She handed me a letter that the insurance agency of the trucking company sent her. Before I tell you what the letter said, here is a brief description of what happened the cause the accident. A woman disobeyed a stop sign and attempted to pull through an intersection. A semi tried to swerve to miss the woman. When he swerved, he crossed the center line he jack knifed the truck and hit my sister-in-law. She spent a total of a month in the hospital and is still battling physical problems. She was expected to die and the doctors can't explain why she survived or how she is doing so well. She took her drivers test last week and passed, but she still isn't driving. Anyway, now that you're up to speed here is what the letter said. I'm not quoting it, but it said something to the effect of : Our accident reconstruction team has reviewed the accident between your vehicle and our truck. They have concluded that the accident was SOLELY YOUR FAULT and you are now expected to pay $12,000 to repair the equipment YOU damaged. I laughed, and put the letter down, then I go mad. I didn't let it show because I didn't want to upset Nikki, but you've got to be kidding me right? You think she caused the accident? She was minding her own business on HER side of the road. She even tried to pull of the road into the ditch to avoid being hit and you claim it's her fault? Who do they have on their accident reconstruction team? 3 year olds playing with tonka trucks? They called the attorney and read him the letter, he laughed and said that he will use that against them when the time comes. They are not trying to get rich, just get back to the way things were before the accident. Sad thing is, none of us will be the same. Please pray for them, they are struggling emotionally and while they won't admit it, they are really hurting. They don't attend church, but I have a feeling they believe. Pray that their desire to know God will become so strong they will listen to our invitations to attend church with us.

1 comment:

todd helmkamp said...

Oh, Carma, I'm so sorry this is a long drawn-out process for your family. I will definitely pray.