Wednesday, September 05, 2007

I don't want to

I don't want to believe it. I just don't. I like to think that people are generally good and that the kids I work with are the way they are due to environment. I think our environment does shape who we are and how we act. Most of my "kids" come from dysfunctional families, so no surprise they have similar issues to their parents. I do believe that they can choose to overcome their situation and create a better life for themselves.

I have one kid in particular who is a doll. I haven't had any problems from her. She is always on time, polite, interactive, etc. She is 9 day from being done with my program. I just got her drug screen results back. She tested positive. I didn't believe it. I searched the drug on line. It's an anti-anxiety drug. Ok, so I called mom. "Is ______ on any prescription medicine?" "No, she takes allergy stuff and some herbal vitamins, but all of that is over the counter." I thought, ahh, it's the herbals, they are causing her to throw a false positive. I called our drug screen expert, nope, it's not the herbals.

As I was talking to the drug screen expert they said, "You'll have those people that will shock you. Get used to it." I don't want to get used to it. I don't want to expect the kids to fail. What kind of example is that? If they know I am expecting them to fail, then they will do something to cause them to fail. As much as I don't like having my hope in someone dashed, I don't want to become numb to it. I firmly believe in this kid. She is in counseling, 2 different drug education classes, family counseling, etc. It's just disheartening.

No comments: