Friday, September 07, 2007

I Miss High School

Ok, I know what you are thinking, "WHAT?!" Hear me out. I DO NOT MISS BEING A HIGH SCHOOLER, I miss teaching in a high school.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I had a terrible high school experience. 9th and 10th grade were rough, but that's to be expected. I had a ball my junior and senior year. I wish I had been more active in high school, but at that time, my priorities were elsewhere.

I realized that I missed working in a high school this morning. I have been forced to change my mindless drive to work due to construction. Leaving earlier than normal found me caught in high school traffic. As I sat in a long line on 427, I began remembering my student teaching experience. I loved those kids. Don't start thinking I'm like one of those sex crazed teachers that has/wants to seduce a student, that's that yuckie and gross. I saw them as mini adults that were trying to find their way. I helped them find their way. In return they didn't see me as the enemy teacher, they saw me as a person who is willing to help them succeed at anything. I will admit that I am jealous of two of my friends. They have jobs working at the high school we attended. I would love to! I hope to.

I want to be able to teach, create lesson plans, inspire and help. I spend my time now cautiously stepping over government red tape and filing reports. I want to rediscover my passion for Beowulf and Canterbury Tales. Oh, and redo my lesson plans for The Crucible. I miss those kids. I was surfing through friends "friends list" on facebook the other day and I saw DW. I had him as a junior and now he is a freshman in college. I see his parents at church, but I'm sure they really don't know who I am.

I just really want a public school job.........

No comments: