Thursday, September 06, 2007

Only My Husband...

If you know my husband and myself at all, you know we are constantly blaming each other's faults on our high school experience. We attended rival high schools, and ironically enough, is was that rivalry that brought us together.

As we were driving home from his brother's the other night I asked what he wanted to do with the evening. I secretly he would say, "Well, I thought I'd start by helping you clean the "nursery," and then I'll attempt to fix the washer, then end the evening by taking Scooter for a walk." (Hey, I can dream can't I?) His real response was, "I think I want to play some playstation." When he asked me, I replied, "I could go for nine rounds of Hot Shot's golf." He looked disappointed. He loves when I willingly play playstation with him. I asked him why he looked disappointed. This is the conversation that followed.

Ayron: Well, I, uh, just noticed that you haven't been reading a lot lately.

Me: Yeah, I kind of burnt myself out this summer reading one a day.

Ayron: Well, its just that, Taylor is going to get his/her dashing looks and charm from me, and you're the only shot Taylor has at brains, so don't let your brains go by playing playstation.

I laughed so hard. He was serious. I wish I could have captured his face.

Me: Well, you're right, after all, I'm the one who graduated from DeKalb.

Ayron: I won't hold it against you. You got your brains in college, after all you graduated with an IU degree.

So, like a nerd I dove back into my summer reading list. While I read a lot of books this summer, none of them were on my list of books I planned on reading. I am currently reading my way through the Eliot Rosewater collection for young adults. I want to have a broad knowledge of several books when a student asks me for a recommendation. In the past two days, I have read two books. I read The Nanny Diaries for laughs. After finishing that I concluded there is no way I could ever be a nanny, not that I ever wanted to be. Yesterday I read That Crazy Little Thing Called Love. This book is truly insightful. It is a Christian book based around principals of marriage, but each chapter is a song title. It is a very good book. I recommend it to anyone who is married or thinking about getting married.

Today I will start Free Inside and Out. I don't think I'll be able to get through it all today since I have a two hour meeting this morning and some reports to write this afternoon, but who knows.

So hopefully Taylor benefits from all of this reading, Lord knows I don't want him/her to have an Eastside education. I am joking. I have several friends who graduated from Eastside, I do not mean it literally, so don't get all huffy and defensive.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

*Huffing Defensively*

That hurts, Carma. That Eastside comment really hurts.

:)

Pepper said...

Remember that saying, "Kids say the darnedest things"? I think the same goes for Ayron and Jake both!!