Thursday, September 27, 2007

Quote

I love quotes. I have a journal full of them at home that I have collected as well as published books of quotes. I just love them!

I am reading The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (author of Tuesday's with Morrie). It is an interesting book and I think now a movie too. Anyways, I came across this quote and it struck me. The protagonist is reunited with his former Army Captain and they are discussing how the Captain died (While escaping from enemy prison he stepped on a land mine while checking to see if the road was clear. The rest of the group was in an escape vehicle with the protagonist badly wounded in the backseat). The Captain says the following:

" That's the thing. Sometimes when you sacrifice something precious (talking about his own life to save the protagonist) you're not really losing it. You're just passing it on to someone else."

I don't know why, but that quote struck me. I guess I had never thought of sacrifice in that manner. It makes you look at sacrificing something in a whole new light.

No comments: