Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Radio Debate

I was listening to a local radio station this morning while I was getting ready for work. The DJ's were debating a recent news event. About a week ago a principal at a Cincinnati school mistakenly left her infant child in the car for 8 hours while she was at work. The police say the child's death was an accident. The mom says that she forgot the child because she changed her morning routine to stop for doughnuts and the child was sleeping and never made a sound.

The DJ's wanted to know the public's opinion on the following: Should she be able to keep her job? The callers had valid points on both sides of the issue. If she can't watch her own child, why should the school district put her in charge of a whole middle school? Everyone makes mistakes. Have you done nothing that would put your child in danger? Etc. It was interesting to hear the debate.

I haven't made up my mind about the whole thing. It seems that this is happening a lot lately. Mom thought dad had the child, mean while dad loaded the child in mom's car, mom leaves baby in car while at work, etc. I guess I just wonder how you could forget your child is in the car? Do you not use your rear view mirror? The child doesn't make any noise? You don't look in the backseat before you go into the building? I don't know, I've never been in that situation, and I pray that I never am. It is just sickening to know that this children were helpless.

What is your opinion on the principal? The school board met last night to decide her fate, but I haven't found their decision yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the real issue here is that someone is actually calling the child's death an accident. Come on now, who "forgets" their baby is in the car? The woman should lose her job not because the public is concerned about her inability to keep an eye on a whole school...She should lose her job for being a complete jackass and forgetting her own child in a car and letting it die!! If she can't remember that her own kid is in the backseat of her car, whether she breaks her routine or not, I think she belongs in jail with the girl who spilt salt on the cops hamburger. Just goes to show that people have been locked up for dumber things!

Maybe she should even be sterilized...remember back when it was okay and accepted to sterilize the mentally handicapped? I think they were probably better off than this woman, who proved to be little more than a failure!

This is just my opinion. I feel strongly about this.